A 2 days excursion to the Iliniza South Volcano.
From 2 up to 20 participants (there will be a guide for the participants).
The Illinizas are two volcanic peaks located inside the Illinizas Ecological Reserve.
The southern Illiniza differs from the northern because it is a mix of rock and ice which requires previous technical experience.
During the ascend, you will have to negotiate sections of rock climbing until reaching the glacier, then continuing by climbing on rock and ice to reach the summit at 5.266 m/17.276 ft. Physical Level needed: Average – High.
09:00 Departure from Quito.
11:30 Arrival to the Virgin of the Illinizas.
12:00 Begin hike to Nuevos Horizontes Refuge (New Horizons Refuge), Stops to enjoy the attractions of the route, to hydrate and eat a box lunch.
15:30 Arrival to Nuevos Horizontes Refuge. Settle into accommodations and time to rest.
18:00 Dinner in the refuge.
19:00 Sleep time.
02:15 Wake-up, eat breakfast and prepare equipment.
03:00 Begin ascend hike. Frequent stops to eat and hydrate.
07:00 Estimated time of arrival to the summit and begin descend hike.
11:00 Estimated time of arrival to the refuge and begin descend to the Virgin.
13:00 Estimated time of arrival to the Virgin and begin descend to El Chaupi.
14:00 Lunch in a restaurant of the area.
15:00 Return trip to Quito.
17:00 Estimated time of arrival to Quito
- Private round-trip transportation.
- Specialized bilingual guides with ASEGUIM certification.
- Healthy and nutritious food (1 breakfast, 1 lunch, 1 box lunch, 1 dinner).
- Lodging in the Nuevos Horizontes.
- Refuge The Illinizas Ecological Reserve entrance fee.
- Personal and technical equipment (rope, carabineers , climbing helmet, harness, ice axe, crampons, mountaineering boots).
- Extra sports drinks.
- Personal spending money.